[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

Ingo Debus igg.debus at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 21:47:26 CEST 2021

> Am 20.08.2021 um 22:24 schrieb Tom Bugs via Synth-diy <synth-diy at synth-diy.org>:
>
> As far as I'm aware it is the other way around to what Jay says --- lead-free solder should not be used on leaded boards, but leaded solder is fine on either.
> As others have noted, do not use lead-free solder for repairs on old leaded equipment.

As I understand it, the problem with mixing leaded and lead-free solder is that some lead-free solder types contain metals (was that Bismuth?) that form an alloy with lead that has a very low melting point giving unreliable solder joints. As long as the lead-free solder contains only metals that are present in leaded solder too, everything should be fine. Can anyone confirm that?

Ingo