[sdiy] Digital encoders missing codes in many devices - why?

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Sat Aug 21 15:29:13 CEST 2021

This is usually down to the Chinese contract manufacturing house replacing quality Alps or Bourns encoders with cheaper crappy ones.  They'll claim the ones you specified were temporarily unavailable if challenged.

Increasing the current through the encoder will fix the problem for a while, but they simply don't last as long.