[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 14:57:44 CEST 2021

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 2:40 PM Steve via Synth-diy
<synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:

> cheater cheater via Synth-diy:
> > Leaded paste is easily available. Unless you're a manufacturer, RoHS
> > doesn't matter. Less lead will contrary to popular belief not save the
> > environment or anyone's health.
>
> Says you. A private person cannot buy leaded solder in Germany anymore.

You must be really bad at shopping. Here's leaded solder at the
largest hobby electronics distributor in Germany, actively
manufactured and supported* by a German company in Germany in
Wuppertal.

https://www.conrad.de/de/p/hf32smd-sn60pb40-0-5mm-100g-solder-typ1-1-3b-1-800112384.html

* in fact, I spoke with the guy responsible for customer support just
a couple days ago. I needed to ask about the thermal conductivity of
one of their solders. He didn't really know but said it's probably
like 60/40 since it's just 60/40 with 2% copper. I bought the roll
like 15 years ago. They still sell the same kind. There's no
conceivable reason to start stocking up on leaded solder.

If you want to buy leaded solder paste, buy it on Alibaba or something
like that. That's where you should be buying most of your supplies
anyways, as a lot of stuff in Europe is just rebranded Chinese stuff.