[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

sleepy_dog at gmx.de sleepy_dog at gmx.de
Sat Aug 21 14:36:02 CEST 2021

dh at atoav.com:
> It is a study done for the United States Environmental Protection
> Agency. What else would you need for "hard" evidence? A long term self
> study involving lead solder fumes?

Lead does not contribute to solder fumes. It barely gets fluid with the
temperatures used.
What creates fumes is the flux.
The flux in lead-free solder tends to be more aggressive to the airways
than that in plain old solder.
(mentioned in some Weller paper I have forgotten where it is)

Roman was speaking of "fume extractors" - even the one we have at work,
some big box with a plate on top to put a PCB onto, and a slit before,
and behind it where air is sucked in, is not perfect. While you cen see
that quite some of the fumes is going in, my airways still get irritated
from 10 minutes soldering with that stuff.
I don't have this problem at home with my Stannol leaded flux, whether I
turn on my little fume extractor or not. (I won't breathe in visible
smoke, obviously, it's not nice in the eyes either, so I tend to blow it
away)