[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

dh at atoav.com dh at atoav.com
Sat Aug 21 13:09:46 CEST 2021

On 21/08/2021 12:54, Adam Inglis (synthDIY) wrote:
> The reference you quote is dated August 2005.
> It talks about the contribution of tin-lead (SnPb) solder to ozone depletion and acid rain (among other things). Even global warming gets a mention.

Yes it is a life cycle assessment summary, as it says on the first page.
I chose this source, because cheatercheater was talking about both
health AND environment and it summarized both things in a nize overview
table (including confidence in each finding).

> I’m not an expert in this field but it sounds more like a PhD pitch than hard evidence? And it does have that modern ring of alarmism…

It is a study done for the United States Environmental Protection
Agency. What else would you need for "hard" evidence? A long term self
study involving lead solder fumes?

If you ever met one of the old solder guys from any bigger electronics
shop you can _see_ that the lead had impact on them (color of the skin,
pallor, lividity, bluish gum/teeth etc). The impact lead can have on the
human body is known since the 50s, so I if this is alarming news to you
I am happy you learned something today : )