[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

dh at atoav.com dh at atoav.com
Sat Aug 21 12:24:20 CEST 2021

On 21/08/2021 11:01, cheater cheater wrote:
> Leaded paste is easily available. Unless you're a manufacturer, RoHS
> doesn't matter. Less lead will contrary to popular belief not save the
> environment or anyone's health.

So by changing to leaded solder paste I gain nothing but loose the
potential to have a process that is RoHs conform (e.g. should I ever
sell a small run of my modules)? Why would I do that?

Also I am not sure what sources you base your conclusion on, but it is
certainly not as simple as "it doesn't matter". It is true that
lead-free is not automatically better in terms of environmental and
health concerns (depending on the question you are asking), however it
is certainly worse in most categories that matter to me (see [1]).

As you can see in that source SnPb has a occupational health-non-cancer
impact that is by _two magnitudes_ higher than all other paste variants.
So if you claim this has no impact on "anyone's health" you are
misleading at best unless we are talking about people who solder once a
year.

---
1:
https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2013-12/documents/lead_free_solder_lca_summary.pdf