[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Sat Aug 21 10:09:56 CEST 2021

Yes, the fumes. I've been using fumes extractor for so long I even
forgot they exist. It's my habit to turn the extractor on even if I need
to solder one wire. I can't even remember the smell of the fumes from
those lead-free wires. All my memories are bound to my childhood, when
my dad was soldering. Now that stuff was amazing. What a wonderfull
smell. they don't make them like that anymore. Very dark brow, almost
black after melting few times.

OTOH at one time I used scrap solder paste in a solder pot, to make an
experiment to solder headers in one go. Man, that stuff smells so bad. I
had big window open fully and it didn't help. Because of how the pot was
made I couldn't fit it under fume extractor so I gave it a go in free
air. What an awfull stink.

Roman