[sdiy] FW: Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Fri Aug 20 22:53:11 CEST 2021

> Tom Bugs via Synth-diy

> As far as I'm aware it is the other way around to what Jay says --- lead-free solder should not be used on leaded boards, but leaded solder is fine on either.
> As others have noted, do not use lead-free solder for repairs on old leaded equipment.

Actually the stuff with the silver added (and a little copper) should be fine on both leaded HASL and on some old equipment.  The main problem with old equipment is it often doesn't have a decent resist, especially on those SRBP PCBs people used to save a few cents, as tin fingers are more likely to grow if there isn't a resist surround on the pad