[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

Tom Bugs admin at bugbrand.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 22:27:53 CEST 2021

It varies dependent on manufacturer & specific flux type - hence why
I've ended up using the Warton Metals type I mentioned yesterday (see
also note on sensitivity to fumes from Kester Water-Washable).

It mentions:

# Contains no rosin (colophony), resin acids, pine oil or other naturally
occurring derivatives from pine trees
# Specially designed to reduce the number of world-wide cases of
industrial asthma, related to rosin usage in soldering processes

But, yes, I still try not to drown in the fumes ;)

On 20/08/2021 19:09, Steve via Synth-diy wrote:

>>> Am 19.08.2021 um 21:45 schrieb Mike Beauchamp <list at mikebeauchamp.com>:
>>>
>>> Have you converted to lead-free in your hobby as well? I'm curious
>>> to hear others' suggestions and experiences.
>> +1 for using leadfree solder here. At work I’m using almost only
>> leadfree solder for hand-soldering, and honestly, I don’t think I
>> could tell it from leaded solder in a blind test. This is solder with
>> silver in it, things might be different with solder without silver
>> (which is a lot cheaper).
>> Also, I don’t change the tip temperature for different types of
>> solder. It’s always at 350 °C. If solder is splattering, something’s
>> awfully wrong.
>

> The fumes seem to be a lot more aggressive to me, though. To mucous
> membranes in the respiratory tract, that is.
> And I do have the direct comparison, at home I only use leaded still.
> I won't use it at home until I got a very effective fume removal
> solution. My little "fume extractor" is only so effective... Not enough
> for that stuff, or what still remains in the air of it to attack the
> airways.
>
> The leadfree, it might be the one without silver, well the solder joints
> look matte and kinda like we used to identify bad solder joints with
> leader solder.
> Somewhat irritating :)

BugBrand LTD
UK company No. 07199808