[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

sleepy_dog at gmx.de sleepy_dog at gmx.de
Fri Aug 20 20:09:18 CEST 2021

>> Am 19.08.2021 um 21:45 schrieb Mike Beauchamp <list at mikebeauchamp.com>:
>>
>> Have you converted to lead-free in your hobby as well? I'm curious to hear others' suggestions and experiences.
> +1 for using leadfree solder here. At work I’m using almost only leadfree solder for hand-soldering, and honestly, I don’t think I could tell it from leaded solder in a blind test. This is solder with silver in it, things might be different with solder without silver (which is a lot cheaper).
> Also, I don’t change the tip temperature for different types of solder. It’s always at 350 °C. If solder is splattering, something’s awfully wrong.

The fumes seem to be a lot more aggressive to me, though. To mucous
membranes in the respiratory tract, that is.
And I do have the direct comparison, at home I only use leaded still.
I won't use it at home until I got a very effective fume removal
solution. My little "fume extractor" is only so effective... Not enough
for that stuff, or what still remains in the air of it to attack the
airways.

The leadfree, it might be the one without silver, well the solder joints
look matte and kinda like we used to identify bad solder joints with
leader solder.
Somewhat irritating :)