[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

dh at atoav.com dh at atoav.com
Fri Aug 20 09:45:52 CEST 2021

On 19/08/2021 23:15, Vladimir Pantelic via Synth-diy wrote:
> for lead free I use Sn95.5Ag3.8Cu0.7 (Felder ISO-Core EL) with "No
> Clean" flux. I found that at 800F this solders more or less the same as
> the ole leaded at ~700F.
Same as me. Felder ISO-Core EL is the way to go.

I use that solder for ~10 years now, both for big clunky connectors and
for drag soldering SMT ICs under the microscope.

On 20/08/2021 08:59, Tom Bugs via Synth-diy wrote:
> Also, cleaning cleaning cleaning - perhaps leaded is more forgiving?

My take on lead vs lead-free is that leaded solder is indeed easier to
solder with cheap/crappy/unmaintained soldering irons and tips, because
it needs less heat. If you however have good equipment and keep
everything (tip, solder, parts, pcb) ,leaded vs lead-free is really
something that doesn't matter (and I say that as someone who regularly
teaches people how to solder).

The one thing beginners need to get is that the solder flows to the
places that are hot. So put a tiny drop of solder on the iron (to help
heat conduction) put it onto the thing you want to solder and apply the
solder in a _different_ place (e.g. the other side of the pin). If that
different place has been heated up enough the solder will melt and flow
in all the right places. What doesn't work is to use a solder iron like
a paint brush. Leaded solder is more forgiving here, but can also teach
people the wrong lessons.

Cheers,
atoav