[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Fri Aug 20 09:26:00 CEST 2021

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 09:00, Tom Bugs via Synth-diy <
synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:

> Well, I forgot to add that, while I don't change tip temperature, I do
> change tip type/size for different applications - just a handful of sizes
> covers 99% of tasks, with a big one obvs for applications that need decent
> heat transfer.

Aha - different sizes, yes, but do your tips have different temperatures?
(IIRC there are some different ones to choose from)

> Also, cleaning cleaning cleaning - perhaps leaded is more forgiving?

That's the impression I got so far, but haven't personally tested many
solder types at all.

> I'm guessing you're working entirely lead-free, Mattias?

I'm not really working with soldering that often, but lead-free on
commercial products and an old roll of leaded at home if I fix up some old
gear.

As we all know, lead - just like wooden end cheeks - gives a much fuller,
richer and warmer sound. And nobody would ever want that in new gear, it
just wouldn't be serious - so transition to lead-free asap! ;-)

> (smiles & waves to you!)
>
> Tom

/mr  -  Hej hej!