[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

Tom Bugs admin at bugbrand.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 23:33:57 CEST 2021

I've have always used Lead Free (apart from a small supply of leaded for
specific repairs). I guess RoHS was already in place over here & I
didn't want any unnecessary dealings with lead. I barely remember any
struggles with lead-free so am always a bit perplexed by such discussions!

I have used a Kester for where I need a water-soluble - no notes on the
type at present but likely the same. I have to say that the fumes off
this have appeared to present lung sensitivity for my assistant - she
always uses fume extraction for any soldering, but now wears a face mask
for the occasional times having to use this kester. So somewhat less
than ideal.

Most of the time I/we entirely use Warton Metals SAC3 FastFlow Lead Free
(22SWG) because it works so well & the fumes are no issue. It is not
'cheap' but I have been entirely happy using it - unfortunately it is
likely hard to find outside UK - not sure whether other SAC305 types may
be similar or not
https://www.rapidonline.com/warton-metals-omega-ii-sac3-fast-flow-flux-2-solder-wire-22swg-0-711mm-500g-85-6196

The only thing I would perhaps note is that tips maybe seem to wear out
relatively quickly & can get gunked up with blackness - I only use brass
wire cleaners, not sponges. I use Metcal irons so have a fixed tip
temperature.
It works well for me & I'm happy not to have to continue investigating
for now!

Tom