[sdiy] Soldering copper to aluminum using indium

peter foti 11hertz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 01:46:10 CEST 2021

One of the reasons we were using Indium in our application was that it
remains soft and can take up the difference when bonding materials with CTE
mismatches. We were soldering glass-like materials to copper.

We were operating at cryogenic temperatures, so the huge swings from 77K to
room temp would eventually fatigue the solder joint, but they typically
lasted several months of daily temperature cycles.