[sdiy] Need goog working rotary encoder in C code..

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri Aug 6 21:21:50 CEST 2021

+1 agree with these points.

Use polling, and make sure you can easily adjust the rate you check the inputs in case you need to slow it down. I used a loop of 2msecs, I think, and the software debounce required 4 stable reads to consider an input changed (so 8msecs in the same state). These numbers depend on the type of encoder used, and you should probably go as *slow* as you dare. Going faster is tempting as it “makes it more responsive” but at some point the bouncing will get worse, and then your code will no longer cope. Either test with half-dead, heavily-worn encoders, or work to a worse-case scenario!
The code should detect each input change, which is to say, on the encoders I used there are four changes between each detent. Keeping track of the changes allows both direction detection and some degree of error correction.

Interrupt based code is just going to throw a lot of unnecessary interrupts every time the input bounces, unless it’s all debounced in the hardware…in which case, what’s the software for?!?

My favourite debounce routine is a vertical counter debounce since it can do eight inputs in a single pass (or 16 on a word-based processor).