[sdiy] patch panel normalizing sanity check

Neil Harper metadata at gmx.com
Mon Aug 2 07:50:16 CEST 2021

the last few months I've been designing a patch panel for the little 2
osc synth that I've been building. I've spent a lot of time getting the
layout "right" but only recently did I start thinking about how I've
normalized things.

Initially I designed it so that the connections "break" when cords are
plugged into CV outputs. The idea being that if I'm plugging into that
output, it's because I want it to now go somewhere else instead.

But after checking out the manual for the 2600, and a few contemporary
synths with patching (the Minibrute 2 and the Moog Matriarch), I noticed
that they all do the "break" when things are plugged into the input. The
idea there being that if I'm plugging something into that input, it's
because I have a new thing to control it with instead of what it is
currently connected to.

I guess I need a sanity check here because both make sense to me, and
the first way ("break" on output) came to me first because it felt more
intuitive. But is the "break" on input way (like the 2600, Minibrute 2,
Matriarch) pretty much standardized across all synths and does that
scheme offer any advantages?

--
/// Neil Harper
/// Every Wave is New Until it Breaks