[sdiy] Transition to Lead-Free Hand Soldering

Jay Schwichtenberg jschwich53 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 22:07:27 CEST 2021

I'm a leaded user for home stuff. Just my preference.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the PCBs. There are various
coatings used for the solder pads, this only applies for the solder
tinned ones. So, my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong here) here is
that you can solder lead tinned boards with lead free solder but you
can't solder lead free tinned boards with leaded solder. So you'll have
to know what your boards are tinned with and use the correct solder.
That would also probably mean older solder tinned boards you should use
leaded solder.

Ideas?

Jay S.