[sdiy] Soldering copper to aluminum using indium

peter foti 11hertz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 01:28:43 CEST 2021

I’ve done quite a bit of Indium soldering at work over the years. I think
using a hot plate would be a big help to you, if you can. What form is your
Indium? If it’s a sheet, I would recommend assembling everything and
letting it come up to temperature on the hot plate (start cold). First,
wipe both sides of the Indium with a lint free paper towel, moistened with
alcohol or methanol, several times to remove the oxide layer. The Indium
will get really shiny. I’ve had good luck using plumbers flux. It’s very
aggressive, but it worked better than the fluxes from Indium Corp.

When the Indium melts, things might shift around, so you may have to nudge
them back into place, or use something to apply force to your assembly
without increasing its thermal mass too much.

We usually did Indium reflows in an Argon or Nitrogen environment, but I’ve
also been successful doing open air reflows on a hot plate. The copper we
were using had been passivated and gold coated, a luxury you won’t have at
home, so that’s were the plumbers flux will be a big help. The flux will
liquify and get everywhere, so plan on cleaning it up after. We used lab
grade kerosine, followed by acetone and then IPA to clean the assemblies.
We were soldering laser crystals to copper heatsinks that were going to
operating in vacuum, so we were pretty intolerant of any residue. You may
be able to use common flux cleaners.

Sorry for the rambling reply. Feel free to ask any questions if anything
needs clarification.