[sdiy] Sourcing 3205 BBD chips

Didrik Madheden nitro2k01 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:58:03 CEST 2021

The "fake" chips are often real, but defective, chips salvaged from
old equipment that are "refurbished" with a new coat of varnish and
some new text painted on. It's not impossible that one (or all) of
them had their new coat of paint on backwards. Try rubbing the top
with Q tip soaked in acetone to see if you can find out what the chip
really is, and with orientation it's supposed to be in.

/Didrik

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 at 01:41, Didier Leplae via Synth-diy
<synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:

> I have been designing a module using Cool Audio V3205SD bucket brigade chips, but our usual source, CabinTech is out of them. My friend tried to order some from a seller in China but they seem to be mislabeled or perhaps knockoffs of some kind.
>
> At first I thought they didn’t work at all, but then trying one of them flipped around found that it sort of worked, though labeled backwards?
>
> Has anyone had experience with these strange 3205 chips?
>
> And also, does anyone know a source for more reliable chips at the moment?

/Didrik