[sdiy] Decent 192kHz USB audio-interface

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Fri Apr 30 02:57:42 CEST 2021

Thanks, Mike.

"Then drops like a stone" seems to imply a brick wall filter. Aren't those expensive in analog implementations?

On that note, if the AFE has a brick wall at 80 kHz, then it's not really relying on the ADC for the frequency response - at least the ADC isn't going to be able to be set to 384 kHz sample rate and change the frequency response much in that regard.

... not that we're talking about 384 kHz sampling - that would be crazy talk.

Brian

p.s. I'll mention that the Metric Halo Labs interfaces have DC response on the line level input path to the ADC. They don't maintain DC response on the mic preamp settings because of phantom power and other aspects of the microphone preamp stage. The Owners' Manual specifies a response of 1.8 Hz to 64.7 kHz +0/-1.0dB @ fs = 192 kHz. If you want tighter frequency response, it's 5.7 Hz to 42.1 kHz +0/-0.1dB at the same sample rate. 0.0005% THD @ -12 dBFS, 0.0015% THD @ -0 dBFS. I'm not sure which chips they're using, but it might be the AK4395.