[sdiy] Decent 192kHz USB audio-interface

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 01:53:21 CEST 2021

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 9:43 PM Jay Schwichtenberg via Synth-diy
<synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:

> As someone that has worked in T&M a lot I would look at lab grade ADCs
> and sample at 5X (400 KHz). Most test and lab equipment I've worked on
> or with goes for 5X sampling rate minimum. When doing science Nyquist
> rates aren't good enough in a lot of cases.
>
> Jay S.

The reason for that is different. Historically, T&M equipment
bandwidth was specified as "highest frequency at which you can see the
signal's fundamental plus one harmonic plus a bit of the next harmonic
after that". That's how analogue scopes were specified indirectly
(their freq fall-off was so smooth that you could still see a bunch
beyond the cutoff freq), and later digital ones. When the first
digital scopes started coming out and manufacturers tried specifying
bandwidth as nyquist frequency, there was so much backlash they
thought twice. Not even current-day Chinese manufacturers will break
that rule. They'd get laughed out of the court.