[sdiy] Decent 192kHz USB audio-interface

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Thu Apr 29 21:47:54 CEST 2021

The best gear that I'm aware of is the Sound Devices 700 series. It's not exactly an audio interface, but a portable recorder with FireWire access to the stored files. The microphone preamps on the 702 are lab grade - probably the best preamps for working with something like the Earthworks M50 microphone that's flat from 3 Hz to 50 kHz.

As for audio interfaces, the Metric Halo Labs MobileIO series supports 192 kHz on the LIO-8 (line level) and ULN-8 (mic & line level).

Both of these options are pricey. You might also consider Mark of the Unicorn (MOTU) who have been making 192 kHz interfaces for more than a decade. While I haven't used the Focusrite Saffire, that interface looks promising if you're on a budget. I believe Focusrite supports 192 kHz in some models.

Brian Willoughby

p.s. You might find it difficult to reach 80 kHz with a microphone, but I suppose you know your gear.