[sdiy] buying component tester

Steve Lenham steve at bendentech.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 17:39:34 CEST 2021

I think a lot of these are based on the same original AVR-based design,
which was released open-source and subsequently copied to death in the
Far East. On the positive side, lots of enhancements have been added to
both the hardware and firmware over the years and there is a lot of
information readily available.

There are some very long discussions on sites such as EEVblog about it, e.g:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/3325/

I bought a kit off eBay for one of the common variants (referred to as
"2578AY-AT"). It was very cheap and has been very useful. Using advice
from that forum discussion, I replaced a handful of the standard
components with close-tolerance parts to increase the overall accuracy a
bit, though I have never actually made any attempt to assess how
accurate it is.

Would I use it if I was building life-support equipment? No.
Would I use it for almost anything else? Yes. for the price, it is a
no-brainer. Start there and see whether you need anything more - chances
are that you don't.

Cheers,

Steve L.
Benden Sound Technology