[sdiy] buying component tester

The SynthiMuse synthimuse at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 16:55:38 CEST 2021

Hi Jean

Here's an in-circuit tester that I've used in one form or another since the
mid-80's
it's great for non-powered board-level debugging of components.

There's a commercial version available called the 'Huntron Tracker' but
it's easily made using a few components.

Attached are a couple of sketches I did when passing the idea to a friend.
It's not in any way *accurate* as a component tester but it fits well into
the synth context as the 'Deluxe' option uses an audio transformer and a
sine oscillator - preferably one made pre-1980. :-)
Also, just a random find of a youtube vid demonstrating the technique but
which doesn't use a transformer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIy5UbxMNug

Images attached.

Best wishes