[sdiy] tinnitus (WAS Lossless synthesizer demos)

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sun Apr 25 00:25:45 CEST 2021

There's a new documentary out titled "The Year Earth Changed" on Apple streaming which shows the result of research into several examples of human-caused noise pollution being reduced by the past year of COVID-19 shutdowns.

Mother whales can now leave their young alone and group together with other mother whales for coordinated hunting. If their offspring get into trouble, they can call out. Previously, shipping lanes were so noisy that the calls could not be heard, and mother whales would not leave their young alone, and thus they were not able to hunt collectively.

Mother cheetah in Kenya have a challenge because their cubs needs protection, yet they need to hunt alone. Once a kill is made, it's usually too heavy to carry to the cubs, so the mother cheetah calls out faintly - just loud enough to attract the cubs, but not loud enough to alert stronger predators like hyena or lions who would take the fresh kill or attack the cubs. Before COVID shutdowns, there was so much human-caused noise - idling Land Rover engines, flicking SLR shutter racket, people chattering, etc - that these faint calls could not be heard.

In San Francisco, there are bird calls being documented that were never heard before because of traffic noise.

I have no idea whether any of this might be related to tinnitus, but it's clear that the world is full of human-created noise. It's affecting wildlife in remote waterways and even on African safari. I wonder if any humans are benefitting from the quiet - although downtown Seattle seems as noisy as ever, thanks to state construction that never stopped.

Brian Willoughby