[sdiy] tinnitus (WAS Lossless synthesizer demos)

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 23:48:28 CEST 2021

I think I've heard about the Tensor Tympani Muscle being implicated as a
possible cause for this.  It's a muscle that normally contracts to reduce
the sensitivity of the ear in the presence of loud sounds, (a sort of AGC,)
but the process can malfunction leading to a range of symptoms classed as
"Tensor Tympani Syndrome".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_tympani_muscle

It mentions that muscle contraction produces noise... "Fast twitch fibers
produce 30 to 70 contractions per second (equivalent to 30 to 70 Hz sound
frequency)".  Some people hear rumbling if they close their eyes really
tight, etc.

The Tinnitus discussion is interesting.  I turned 46 last year and just
started to notice degradation in my hearing and Tinnitus around 10kHz
particular at night.  I could easily have tried to blame this on the excess
noise produced during the day by my young daughter, or a symptom of too much
caffeine intake in a futile attempt to be able to keep up with her! ;-)
...but sadly it probably has more to do with listening to music loud in my
younger years.  I've also listened to high-frequency sweeps at elevated
volume from time to time searching for aliasing artefacts.  Something which
was foolish in hindsight and definitely more scientifically and safely
quantifiable in a spectrogram anyway!  Lesson learnt: Be kind to your ears.

-Richie,