[sdiy] tinnitus (WAS Lossless synthesizer demos)

Bernard Arthur Hutchins, Jr bah13 at cornell.edu
Sat Apr 24 22:35:25 CEST 2021

LF Tinnitus ???
Since the subject of “ordinary tinnitus” (HF; say 5 kHz – 10 kHz) has appeared here as a topic, please humor me in allowing mention of the “World-Wide Hum” (WWH, sometimes Taos Hum, etc.) which is a mysterious LF hum (like an idling diesel engine in the distance - perhaps 30 Hz to 100Hz – I hear 64 Hz), often 24/7/365, the exact nature and cause of which is largely unknown.
Few people hear this (perhaps 2%), but observations are confounded by real trucks, refrigerator units, failing power transformers, etc., as well as (conspiracy directed) entertaining suggestions of government mind-control or underground invasion tunnel drilling, cell towers, etc.   Few good audio engineers are hearers and participating investigators.
This Hum is likely an individually generated (internal) artifact – not a real physical sound; a LF tinnitus.  Importantly and diagnostically, various “impulsive” INDIVIDUAL ACTIONS (vigorous head-shake, exhale, grunt) seem to interrupt the WWH for about ½ a second, after which it is found to have ramped back up.  This ramp-back-up timing reminds an audio engineer of AGC, which in turn might suggest actions of protective muscles in the middle ear (supposition here).

For those interested, Dr. Glen MacPherson maintains an excellent website on the WWH:
https://hummap.wordpress.com/
and I have posted on my EN site Webnotes linked here:
http://electronotes.netfirms.com/ENWN56.pdf

-Bernie