[sdiy] Calculating cable capacitance effect

Ben Stuyts ben at stuyts.nl
Fri Apr 16 15:58:25 CEST 2021

You must take into account the output impedance of the device that is driving the cable. That should be quite low normally. The input and output impedance are effectively in parallel so your cut-off freq is mostly determined by the low out impedance. If that is all that is in play, you have a simple low-pass filter with 6 dB/oct falloff:

fc = 1 / (2 * pi * R * C)

Where fc = -3 dB cutoff frequency, R is the parallel resistance of input and output, and C is the cable capacitance.

Ben