[sdiy] Pole Mixing

Andrew Simper andy at cytomic.com
Sun Apr 11 16:22:41 CEST 2021

The reason they grounded the first cap is the chip they were used in the
x-pander did the resonance gain in - k*lp4 internally, so the only way to
get that back out again was through losing that first cap and grabbing the
signal from that point.

The response you get when doing this is (3 pole cascade with global
feedback):

(g^3 (m0 + m1 + m2 + m3) + g^2 (3 m0 + 2 m1 + m2) s + g (3 m0 + m1) s^2 +
m0 s^3) /
(g^3 (1 + k) + 3 g^2 s + 3 g s^2 + s^3)

which requires a feedback gain of k = 8 to self oscillate, but you also
have to shift the frequency down by scaling the g by 1/sqrt(3), which you
can get by solving the frequency the denominator becomes zero with k = 8.

I seem to remember the x-pander calibrates both the 4 pole and 3 pole
filter separately and uses a chip to control it, so this scaling is
probably done in digital land, so it won't appear on the schematic.

Cheers,

Andy