[sdiy] CA3080 has gone where noone has ever been

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 18:16:57 CEST 2021

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 2:20 PM Didier Leplae via Synth-diy
<synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:

> Interesting that they would use a chip that is sort of obsolete. Do you think they deemed the CA3080 to be more reliable than the LM13700 or just more compatible to their specific needs?

A quick gander at rohm dip package schematics

http://rohmfs.rohm.com/en/techdata_basic/ic/package/dip-t8_2-e.pdf

http://rohmfs.rohm.com/en/techdata_basic/ic/package/dip-t16_2-e.pdf

tells me that the LM13700 weighs almost 1 gram more,

which according to this...

https://www.quora.com/How-much-fuel-do-I-need-to-send-a-1kg-computer-to-Mars

quote:
> Q:
> How much fuel do I need to send a 1kg computer to Mars?
> A:
> Let’s say that a lander used to send a 1 kg computer is about 30 kg, including parachutes and landing systems (a little unrealistic, but it’ll help answer the question).
> The total payload as it currently stands is 50 kg. Let’s add 100 kg to account for the dry weight of an empty stage, leading to a final mass enroute to Mars of 150 kg.
> The amount of propellant is about 33,256 kg ... this estimate is probably absurdly idealistic

... would mean that saving one gram means saving a good 30-100 kg of propellant.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 3:11 PM Benjamin Tremblay via Synth-diy
<synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:

> Awesome. I blew out a 3080 on the Radio Shack Moog in 1984.

Come to think of it, you might have set back Mars colonization at
least a decade.

~~~~~

Now can anyone tell me how to take enough money to feed, clothe, and
shelter every homeless person in the country for a year and turn it
into toxic smoke?