[sdiy] CA3080 has gone where noone has ever been

Aaron B. aaron at zadzmo.org
Thu Apr 8 17:13:06 CEST 2021

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 07:16:51 -0500
Didier Leplae via Synth-diy <synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:

> Interesting that they would use a chip that is sort of obsolete. Do you think they deemed the CA3080 to be more reliable than the LM13700 or just more compatible to their specific needs?

My guess is that they only needed one amplifier section.

Size, weight, and power consumption are all very constrained on a
spacecraft, especially when going beyond Earth orbit. If my guess of
only needing one is correct, the LM13700 is eight more pins of PCB
space and deadweight, plus an entire extra amplifier's worth of power
draw. Those milliwatts add up.

--
Aaron B. <aaron at zadzmo.org>