[sdiy] CA3080 has gone where noone has ever been

Spiros Makris spirosmakris92 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 12:49:25 CEST 2021

What if I told you that CA3080 has been to space?
I was going through various documents of the MAVEN mission I found on an
FTP server online and what do you know, the part that made history in the
synth world was used and flown all the way to Mars, and even entered its
atmosphere.
[image: image.png]
Unsurprisingly, it is among the few non-qualified parts on the list and the
cheapest, at $1.80
I peaked at the schematics and they used it for signal conditioning before
an ADC (peak detection I think).
A whole new level of flex by one of the most influential ICs of Synth
history!

MAVEN was launched on 2013 and has been operational, orbiting Mars until
today. It's primary mission is to study the upper martian atmosphere.