[sdiy] Possible 4 channels scope.. Siglent SDS1104X (-U or -E)

Nathan Trites nathan at idmclassics.net
Tue Apr 6 17:07:17 CEST 2021

I'm extremely happy with my SDS1104X-E. It's my first digital scope after
using a few different analog scopes, but it was easy to figure out most
functions without opening a manual. The measurement features have saved me
so much time. On the occasions that I need it, linking it to my Siglent
function generator to do a Bode plot is a great feature. I do not really
use the memory features. I'm using it for repair, which is almost all
analog synths and pro audio gear, but I'm starting to get into more 70/80s
digital so I'm considering the logic analyzer upgrade.

The points you mentioned: I found a bunch of comments and threads about #1
before buying it and it seems like it's a non issue and a common thing? #2
- when it's on, the LEDs and buttons are no problem at all. When it's off,
the power button does a pulsating glow. Annoying, but not as bad as the
blue LED on my computer monitor.

The only "complaints" I have after a year of using it:
- I wish you could customize the UI, and a few UI elements (measurement
popup) could benefit from higher contrast. Rigol may have a nicer UI, I
don't dwell on it.
- The little data encoder to scroll through checkboxes is annoying, but for
soft buttons you can push them multiple times to step through settings
instead.
- There are circumstances where if you turn off a channel that's the Edge
Trigger source, it switches to AC as source instead of a remaining channel.
Probably not a bug, but always confuses me for a second.
- The probes are comparable to anything else you can buy under $40.

Nathan