[sdiy] Possible 4 channels scope.. Siglent SDS1104X (-U or -E)

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Tue Apr 6 09:50:57 CEST 2021

I own 2 channel Siglent and although at first I told everybody "don't
buy that crap", one year later came out firmware upgrade which fixed
many of the bad things. Now I'm saying this is the best scope ever in
that pricve range.
What is nice is display, and how waveforms are shown. It's fast,
sensitive (up to 0.5mV/div) and has a lot of trigger options. Logic
decoding is there too but don't expect super performance. Horizontal and
vertical position dials are terrible too BTW.
I already mentioned that here, but when compared with 20 times more
expensive scopes from respected brands, that little Siglent wasn't
always loosing a test, and sometimes it was winning.

As for your concern #1 - will you be really hitting BNC with a
screwdriver in real life? Besides, to some extent this is common to all
scopes anyway. About #2 - well, if you don't want to start a war, you
probably can't use any equipment made today. Don't worry about contact
wearing out. You will eagerly want to buy new scope before it wears out,
not because there's something wrong with it, but because there will be
so many new models by then.

And stay away from those early digital HP scopes. When I went to HP demo
bus in about 1995, it was amazing experience, I remember that day like
it was yesterday. But after few minutes spent with it it was aparent how
awfull user interface it had. And AFAIK it's like 20MHz real time
sampling or so. Just about the sampling rate I used in a school project
that time.
Many of the list members will disagree with me here, but in general I
wouldn't bother looking for working, calibrated vintage scope on ebay,
just get new digital one. And if it's not fully working, it's not worth
investing your time in fixing it. I don't mind old scopes, last month I
bought 2 (yes, two) vintage Tek scopes, but I'm not going to use them in
any serious work, they are only just for fun. Still need some fixing and
I don't have time right now to do that.

Around that time when this HP scope came out there was clear demarcation
- any sane engineer gets a Tektronix scope and HP spectrum analyzer. If
HP made a scope and Tek an analyzer, it was just for laughs.

Roman