[sdiy] Need help about how to service an amp
brianw at audiobanshee.com
Mon Apr 5 00:48:44 CEST 2021
You can even get shocked by the speaker outputs.
I was repairing a friend's guitar amp. It had loose connections on the speaker terminals. My friend waiting until I was holding the wires to play a power-chord, and it felt just like 120 VAC when I got shocked. Ever since, I've had a sneaking suspicion that my friend knew exactly what was going to happen.
But, yeah, any time you're poking around inside electronics, you could kill yourself. Never put both hands in there, because the shock will cross your heart. Most synths knock the 120 VAC down to 12 VCD or less, but a power amp will keep the voltage high all the way through the power signal path.
On Apr 4, 2021, at 15:28, Jean Bender via Synth-diy <synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:
> It sounds like you don't know what you're doing... I suggest being
> extremely careful. You can easily die when messing around with these
> -> that's right ! i think it gonna be the first time i work on an amp.. I learned almost all electronic i know actually from scratch, but never been on this kind of gear... Maybe i'm afraid of rock people, i don't know ;)
> But learning and being pleased to have friend smiling when they got their gear back working is something i like !
> And that's also why i'm reading this list for many years : So many knowledge shared, and always answers when i feel i have to ask for !
More information about the Synth-diy