[sdiy] Need help about how to service an amp

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Mon Apr 5 00:48:44 CEST 2021

You can even get shocked by the speaker outputs.

I was repairing a friend's guitar amp. It had loose connections on the speaker terminals. My friend waiting until I was holding the wires to play a power-chord, and it felt just like 120 VAC when I got shocked. Ever since, I've had a sneaking suspicion that my friend knew exactly what was going to happen.

But, yeah, any time you're poking around inside electronics, you could kill yourself. Never put both hands in there, because the shock will cross your heart. Most synths knock the 120 VAC down to 12 VCD or less, but a power amp will keep the voltage high all the way through the power signal path.