[sdiy] Negative resistance elements

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sat Apr 3 20:09:08 CEST 2021

On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 03:24:58AM +0200, cheater cheater via Synth-diy wrote:

> I know for one thing tunnel diodes were used to make very fast
> oscillators, schmitt triggers, and flip-flops, but other than that,
> are there any other uses where they could be used?

Turning large amounts of cash into piles of dead diodes.

They used to be used in the GHz region as oscillators but Gunn diodes replaced them.  Both are so insanely static sensitive that a cat scratching its arse halfway across town will zap them.

They were great when we didn't have modern microwave semiconductors.  They're good fun now, but not really something you'd base a new product on.

Many years ago I read an article about a fairly hair-raising process for making Esaki diodes at home, involving running 1N4001s at some unholy forward current while baking them in an oven.  I can't find it now, but I never attempted it because I didn't want my bread to taste of roasted epoxy and my mum would have gotten annoyed at the mess.

--
Gordonjcp