[sdiy] CV outputs from 3.3V and 5V uC systems

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:57:58 CEST 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 8:06 AM Roman Sowa <modular at go2.pl> wrote:

> 2. if you really want to go that way, there are full-contained power
> boosters, even making +/-15V out of 5V, in a form of small SIP device,
> or even SMD chip. Just add some additional filtering and you're done. It
> will have noisy output, but it's so easy to have whatever voltage
> converter nowdays.

Be warned that they're not all especially great.

I once built someone else's project powered by USB that used a TC7660 to
get bipolar power.  It was basically a computer controlled 8 CV generator,
nothing with MIDI, but I found that if I had more than 2 or 3 sliders up
toward the 5V side, the overall voltage sagged badly -- and this was
without any real load on the outputs.  I was able to improve it by using a
higher spec part, the TC7660H, and adding some capacitance for the buck
converter, but I was never really happy with it, so it's never gotten much
use.

So it's probably obvious practice, but you'll want to test your circuit
under varied output values if you're using one of those chip converters.

Pete