[sdiy] CV outputs from 3.3V and 5V uC systems

Benjamin Tremblay btremblay at me.com
Wed Sep 16 14:54:24 CEST 2020

I have researched this issue a bit.
A) I tried using a Digilent PMOD DA4 8-channel DAC. I got eight channels and only needed one set of SPI wires. Wicked fast.
B) I tried using PWM pins on the Teensy to drive "non-critical”  (non-pitch-accurate) CV, example filter resonance and mixing the outputs of a state variable filter.
C) I looked into DAC boards with built-in wider voltage range.

A —> This thing is great but only gives me 0-2.5V range. It’s 12 bits, so I if double the output I get that reasonable range for 5 octaves of CV. (EIGHT OF THEM)
B —> This covers many use cases for CV. Teensy has lots of pins. I was able to automate all the knobs on a home-made drum synth with this approach.
C —> I purchased a break-out board for a Maxim Pixi chip. This crazy thing has 20 bidirectional DAC/ADC ports and you get a 0-10V range for free. I ran out of time this summer to explore this more.

My observations:

X) Modular synth folks tend to be “purists”, and most of the time I am not a purist. I don’t mind using CV that’s not pitch perfect if I am not trying to control something that does not emit a musical pitch.
I’m not heavy into that laboratory-grade normalization scheme. Not at this time, anyway.
Y) People are selling MIDI-to-CV products that use PWM.  (Example: https://www.tindie.com/products/Robertron2084/midi-to-cv-converter-kit-midimuso-cv12/ <https://www.tindie.com/products/Robertron2084/midi-to-cv-converter-kit-midimuso-cv12/> )
Z) There ain’t nothing wrong with buying a break-out board for $60 if it saves me hundreds of hours of R&D and micro-soldering.

Other MIDI/Audio boards are competing with Teensy (http://www.axoloti.com/product/axoloti-core/ <http://www.axoloti.com/product/axoloti-core/> , https://www.electro-smith.com/daisy <https://www.electro-smith.com/daisy> ) and they’re both 5V on the outside but a tender 3.3V on the inside.
In a year we’re all just going to get over the limited V/Octave range of the Teensy.

Bes wishes,

Ben

Benjamin Tremblay
btremblay at me.com