[sdiy] Jig for measuring resistor values?

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Thu Sep 10 13:06:41 CEST 2020

Long time ago when I measured thousands of unmarked resistors, I have
made simple but effective jig for them. Cut four 2cm-wide stripes out of
a food can, and scratch the paint. On 2 of them cut about 2-3mm at one
side, from both shorter edges to the middle and leave about 5-10mm at
the center. The idea is to have a small tooth in the middle, then bend
this tooth 90 degrees.
Bend all 4 stripes slightly so they are a bit round. Now take a piece of
stripboard and solder those 4 stripes to it, so they touch each other
and the bent teeth are facing the other stripe in pairs.
Solder wires to both pairs of stripes and connect them to ohmmeter. Now
you can slide a resistor from top, between the metal stripes. Their
force will hold resistor in place so skin resistance will not affect
measurement. The teeth are here to make some sort of stop limit for
resistor leads, so it doesn't fall down to the board.

An ugly drawing worth more than 1000 words is included as atachment,
hopefully it will get through the list. Front view and side view.

Roman