[sdiy] chassis-mount screw terminal or alternative

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat May 16 19:44:29 CEST 2020

I was going to point out that Neutrik have already thought about these problems, and they make the power connectors different from the speaker connectors. In fact, I visited neutrik.com and was reminded that the product is actually called "powerCON". It makes sense that "speakON" is for speakers and "powerCON" is for power.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/power

I wouldn't be surprised if the connectors physically won't plug in to the wrong kind, but I haven't personally confirmed that. I'm sure the spec sheets and documentation will explain this.

So, I recommend using powerCON connectors for this. There is the disadvantage that they're fairly large. The standard 4-pin XLR power (only two pins actually used) is what I have on several of my MobileIO audio interfaces, but I'm guessing that XLR is about the same size as powerCON.

<soapbox>
I also recommend going directly to neutrik.com to browse their full documentation. They have drawings for the mechanical designs and all the information you'll need on product variations that you might not find at first in most online resellers. But, after you know the product designation it's easy to find options that may be more suited to your specific needs. I've designed several custom audio devices with assorted connectors, and so I've downloaded tons of Neutrik (and other) data sheets to plan the mechanical dimensions precisely.
</soapbox>

Brian