[sdiy] chassis-mount screw terminal or alternative

Joan Touzet wohali at atypical.net
Wed May 13 18:51:10 CEST 2020

On 2020-05-13 12:07, ColinMuirDorward wrote:
> Does anyone have a favorite chassis-mount connector? This would be to
> route power from a rack PSU to several 84hp synth cases.
> I was thinking maybe I'd like to try a screw terminal type.
> In the past I've used gx12/3pin "aviation" connectors, but it would be
> nice to not have to build those cables anymore.

Have you looked at Powerpole? It's a hermaphroditic crimp-type
connector, which makes cabling easier. Can carry up to 180 amps. They
come in a variety of colours, which are intended to map to specific
voltages...but as long as you use them consistently yourself, it
shouldn't matter.

I use them for quick disconnects on lead-acid batteries for charging,
and find them extremely convenient. I've also used them for high-current
DC applications (LED lighting). Haven't yet moved to them for my modular
gear, but maybe some day...

https://www.andersonpower.com/content/dam/app/ecommerce/product-pdfs/DS-PP1545.pdf
is the full datasheet, including some interesting options I hadn't seen
before (T-connector for cabling, for instance). The snap-in receptacle
shell on page 5 (1470G1) is what I'd use to chassis-mount. Those
Blindmate conenctors look fancy, too.

> Or is getting behind the rack stand with a screwdriver an even worse
> alternative?

If you have a small place like mine, getting behind anything is
painful... ;)

-Joan "ah, city life" Touzet