[sdiy] "Zerolytics"

Steve Lenham steve at bendentech.co.uk
Sun May 10 18:30:59 CEST 2020

On 10/05/2020 17:13, ColinMuirDorward wrote:
> Well now I know where to get technical data, just ask Steve!
>
> Following your lead I'm checking characteristics of CL31A106KBHNNNE
> (1206,50v, 10uf, JLC "basic part").
> Here
> <https://www.datasheet.live/index.php?title=Special:PdfViewer&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpdf.datasheet.live%2Fdatasheets-1%2Fsamsung_electro-mechanics%2FCL31A106KBHNNNE.pdf>,
> it's looking like we get around -60% capacitance around 12v.

Looks like it.

> Not sure why, but in this
> <https://www.digikey.ca/en/datasheets/samsung-electro-mechanics/samsung-electro-mechanics-cl_series_mlcc_ds>general
> catalogue it shows different data for the same part (look for the blue
> XR5 line on the chart neat the end).

Yes, I saw that document when searching the first time. I think that
graph is only intended to show the shape of the curve for the different
dielectric materials; the specific numbers cannot hold for every value
and voltage rating. I would trust the individual datasheets.

> Assuming the first one is accurate, I guess you could try asking the
> robot to put down three on each power rail and you'd have your 10uf. But
> that's quite pointless when you could just pay the $3 "extended part"
> acquisition fee and get a seven cent electrolytic.

You pays your money and you takes your choice...

cheers,

Steve L.