[sdiy] "Zerolytics"

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed May 6 16:33:08 CEST 2020

> On 6 May 2020, at 14:40, Michael Zacherl <sdiy-mz01 at blauwurf.info> wrote:
>

>> On 05.05.2020, at 15:24, Chromatest J. Pantsmaker <chromatest at azburners.org> wrote:
>>
>> At work we have many high-end powered studio monitors.  They're getting up there in age and they start to hum louder and louder.
>> Guess what fixes the problem?
>> New capacitors in the power supply.
>
> I’m curious why that would work!?
> Sitting next to a modular synth with a Power-One linear PSU which gradually became louder and louder.
> But I’m afraid that’s just the transformer. :/

It *might* work because new caps would reduce mains ripple compared to old ones. Hopefully! Otherwise what’s the point?!

But I know what you mean. I’ve got an old toroidal transformer on the back of my desk running a test supply. You can tell by how loud it hums how much work it’s doing. Plugging in any circuit with a short on it produces a decently loud hum, and you know somethings up and to unplug it right away. It’s actually quite handy as a basic sanity check!

Tom