[sdiy] Banana jacks similar to thonkiconn

Quincas Moreira quincas at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:26:16 CEST 2020

The thing Befaco and Vinicius Brazil do (two eurorack designers that design
modules with the option of either thonkies or bananas) is have a hole on
the Thonkiconn footprint on the PCB big enough for the bottom of the nanner
to go through and then get hand wired back to the appropriate pad on the
PCB. This is the only solution I know to the height difference problem.
Cheers

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 6:03 AM john slee <indigoid at oldcorollas.org> wrote:

> (should have noted that I haven't tried this and probably won't — I'm not
> building things with nanas!)
>
> John
>

> On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 20:58, john slee <indigoid at oldcorollas.org> wrote:
>
>> Google yielded a bunch, like this one:
>>
>> https://www.caltestelectronics.com/ctitem/91-jacks-banana-jacks/CT3151V1
>>
>> All the options I've seen are significantly taller than a 9mm pot and
>> also taller than typical toggle switches. Presumably this is due to nana
>> plugs being longer than 3.5mm plugs
>>
>> However... here's a hare-brained scheme from someone that absolutely
>> hates hand-wiring things, and assuming the worst case where things of
>> varying heights need to be intermingled, like a Serge panel:
>>
>> They are sufficiently taller than 9mm and 16mm pots that you might be
>> able to arrange to have two overlapping PCBs joined by ribbon or similar —
>> one for your circuitry and "shallow" controls like pots, and another for
>> nanas? You could have milled holes in the "front" board for the nanas to
>> poke through from the rear board.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 19:08, pinoaffe <pinoaffe at airmail.cc> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody!
>>>
>>> Do you have recommendations for banana jacks that can be mounted to a
>>> pcb and a front panel in a similar fashion to the thonkiconn 3.5mm
>>> jacks?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> pinoaffe

[image: QMA]