[sdiy] Getting Started with DIY Synths

Florian Anwander fanwander at mnet-online.de
Wed Mar 11 15:03:24 CET 2020

@all Lena answered directly to me, but not to the list:

Hi Lena!

Here are my suggestions:

Start with Eurorack modular stuff. The biggest problems for a beginner
are not the electronic things, but the mechanical stuff.
Also you can rely on existing working parts (housing, modules and/or the
powersupply) and add your diy modules then.

Start first with a kit that is delivered with PCB and parts. Thonk
should be a good place to start. https://www.thonk.co.uk
In my beginnings nothing made me more proud than a working device I
soldered from a kit.

Then you may continue with building a module on a stripboard / veroboard
/ breadboard pcb using a given schematic (potential sources for
schematics were already named on the list). Software like VeeCad may
help you to design the pcb. Sourcing the parts, developing the layout on
the stripboard and creating an own panel will be the challenging tasks here.

After that you may either develop your first own circuit, or start
modifying other circuits.

Florian