[sdiy] Renode - ARM Cortex M - debugging & testing via Emulation

Martin Klang mars at pingdynasty.com
Thu Mar 26 11:26:20 CET 2020

Nice. I've attempted QEMU in the past but always ended up putting much
more time into emulation than what I saved on development.

Emulating the core is really the easy bit, it gets tricky when you start
adding in peripherals. If your MCU is communicating with sophisticated
parts like a codec, OLED screen, QSPI flash memory then creating all
that scaffolding becomes a development project in itself.

Great to see that there are CPU and board definitions that cover quite a
few peripherals: UART, SPI, CAN, DMA, EXTI, even ethernet... Don't see
any timers there though.

And they have some sort of USB support, though I don't quite understand
how it links up with the MCU implementation, since afaiu that is
manufacturer-specific.

Now if only there was a tried-and-tested library of emulations for lots
of commonly used parts! Time to make one?

Martin