[sdiy] MIDI I/O c code..

eidorian at aladan.net eidorian at aladan.net
Fri Mar 20 01:52:03 CET 2020

Sorry, I don't have example code for you, but here is some analysis that
I hope might help point you in the right direction:

20MHz / 31,250Hz => ~640 instructions per MIDI data bit, or 6,400
instructions per MIDI data byte.  That's quite a lot of instruction
execution time between notes, so I'd be checking the
efficiency/optimisation of the code.

How long is it taking to update the analog outputs and do other
processing?  If it's updating all 8 CVs via a "slow" protocol like I2C
every time it loops then that might be taking a while, and maybe you
need a different approach (i.e. only update a CV output when it
changes).

How have you implemented the FIFO?  Do you have locking to ensure the
interrupt isn't writing to it while the main loop is updating it?

Create a debug version that has checks on the FIFO size in the
interrupt, and sets an LED on if it overflows, so you can confirm for
certainly whether or not that's the problem.

What I do (with 30+ years of programming experience) is pretend I'm the
CPU, and "execute" the code in my head (or on paper if complex) in order
to try to work out what unplanned or unexpected things might be
happening to cause the problematic behaviour.

Cheers,
A.

---