[sdiy] Unity Gain Diff-in Diff-out driver

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 19:46:13 CET 2020

If you're after a buffer with balanced inputs and balanced outputs, then
take a look at the input stage part (balanced part) of a conventional three
op-amp "instrumentation amplifier" arrangement.  In other words the bits
that surrounds the two op-amps on the left of this schematic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumentation_amplifier#/media/File:Op-Amp_Instrumentation_Amplifier.svg

You don't need the op-amp on the right and it's accompanying four resistors
that make up the differential amplifier unless you want to convert the
balanced output to single-ended.

This arrangement of two op-amps, two feedback resistors and one gain setting
resistor tied between the inverting inputs has the following properties:

1. Balanced input and output.
2. High input impedance (good for buffer)
3. Low output impedance (good for a buffer)
4. Gain is adjustable by varying a single resistor.
5. Good stability.

Hope this helps,

-Richie,