[sdiy] Getting Started with DIY Synths

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 02:36:52 CET 2020

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 6:53 PM <sleepy_dog at gmx.de> wrote:

> As for DIYing a MIDI controller, there's this platform "MIDIbox NG" that
> has a readily available open firmware, and you can put different components
> together to your liking. Supports encoders, pots, apparently LED rings, too.

It's been a few years since I looked at MIDIBox, and I know I have friends
who really think the world of that project, but when I looked at it it was
a fair ways away from anything like a "beginner" project.  And back then
the community seemed to expect you to have read every single thing
about the project and understood it and tried it before asking questions.
Maybe that's all changed, but it wouldn't be my first direction to point
unless someone said they had some experience and wanted to gain a level
working on a project.

And of course that's aside from the mechanical challenges etc.

I really think the N16 project fits the bill pretty nicely, it's a
relatively easy build, uses a Teensy, and generates both CV and MIDI for 16
sliders.

Pete