[sdiy] Getting Started with DIY Synths

sleepy_dog at gmx.de sleepy_dog at gmx.de
Sat Mar 14 00:49:02 CET 2020

Am 13.03.2020 um 23:43 schrieb Lena Kolb:
> I mean I already have a pretty good Keyboard, it's an Arturia Keylab
> Essential 61 Key. Its has some faders and encoders. As I'm doing quite
> a bit of mixing too, a midi controller
I wouldn't go that far, calling it that *bites tongue* (an Artirua
keylab I once tested had rather wobbly keys and a pungent smell, but I
know I care more than others about that, heh)
Not that the ones I listed earlier were better, other than the Roland
one, maybe.
Was some examples just in case.

> with motor faders and some additional control would come in quite
> handy. There's stuff like the Presonus Faderport or the Icon Platform
> X, or if you want to go High End

Or, lower end, Behringer still has you covered
https://www.thomann.de/intl/behringer_x_touch_compact.htm
https://www.thomann.de/intl/behringer_x_touch.htm

> theres the Avid Artist Mix. That's something i would want to build. Do
> you guys have any Experience with this kind of stuff. And btw, my main
> DAWs are Cubase and Pro Tools on Windows

As for DIYing a MIDI controller, there's this platform "MIDIbox NG" that
has a readily available open firmware, and you can put different
components together to your liking. Supports encoders, pots, apparently
LED rings, too.

I now read  Kylee Kennedy's message and would have to agree.
Even with a starting point like the MIDIbox stuff, this might be quite a
huge detour from your synth DIY stuff.

But anyway,

Here are some people's projects based on that - does *not* include
motorized faders
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=midibox+ng&t=ironbrowser&iax=videos&ia=videos

http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=midibox_ng

A forum, looks somewhat active
http://midibox.org/forums/forum/46-midibox-ng/

I've never tried any of that stuff.

It is not a coincidence that most people use reotary encoders on those
things, or rotary pots,
but not faders.
Drilling round holes into front panels is one thing. Getting slits in
there for faders another. I guess that's a job for a CNC router.
The mechanical part is perhaps the one part that makes this all more
expensive than just buying e.g. one of the Behringer things.

- Steve